The APA’s newest member-funded initiative — SoundLearningAPA.org — has just launched, which offers essential and innovative tools for educators and librarians who use audiobooks to benefit literacy.
The PRE Committee put together a team of educational and industry experts, including Mary Burkey, Sharon Grover, Liz Hannegan, and Rose Brock, to create essential and innovative tools. SoundLearningAPA includes a Literacy Benefits Overview, a Classroom-Ready Activity Guide and Lesson Plans, videos demonstrating the power of audiobooks in the classroom, an Annotated Title List by grade level, and a Library Guide and Bibliography.
This incredible effort and accomplishment puts literacy tools in front of librarians and educators. The APA thanks everyone for your title submissions. We received over 1000 titles! 17 APA publisher members are represented in the Audiobook Collection list. Although not all of them could be included, our experts were thrilled to have this extensive library to consider, and there will be an opportunity to submit new titles in 2015. Mary Burkey, Sharon Grover and Liz Hannegan created a carefully-curated list for 2014, with cover images and audio clips provided by AudioFile.
What’s next? For starters, in November:
- Ellen Myrick (Publisher Spotlight) will promote the toolkit at four educational conferences
- an APA webinar, followed by Booklist eblast (details to come)
- postcards available to distribute at events. If interested, please contact the APA office!
What can you do? Promote the toolkit:
- at library and educational conferences/events and through your sales force
- through social media, newsletters, and your web site. Share the info graphic, the above promo video, and the full-length video sharing more detail. Lead everyone to SoundLearningAPA.org and use #soundlearning.
Many thanks to our audiobook experts, the Findaway team, including Erin Cosyn and Suzanne Galvez, for creating SoundLearningAPA.org, as well as Cheryl Herman (Penguin Random House) for leading the video charge, and Mary Beth Roche (Macmillan), Laura Colebank (Tantor), and Mitch Kelly (Hachette).
More news about this initiative will be shared in the weeks and months to come. In the meantime, do you have ideas? Please share your thoughts with Laura Colebank at email@example.com.